Wedliny Domowe 6th National Convention
Aug 26-29, 2011.
Wedliny Domowe Convention is about sauages, smoked meats, cheeses and food preservation. The main area of interest is sausage making, but free courses in cheese making, pastry and cakes are offered as well. Alcoholic spirits of all kinds are offered and make a popular conversation topic.
What is very surprising is how many people are real experts in general cooking and preservation skills. There are persons who can make all types of sausages, cheeses, cakes, pickled cucumbers and mushrooms, canning and and whatever else that belongs to cooking science. The convention is the place to pick up centuries of human knowledge. This gathering brings people from all walks of life together; professional sausage makers, hobbyists, doctors, teachers and young people as well.
All this food - hams, sausages, roasted pig, soups, salads, cakes, and drinks are offered free of charge. In addition, there is live music every night that keeps people dancing unti 3 in the morning. A truly unique experience. It is the best physical exam that one can be submitted to. If one survives those three days of feasting, there is no need to see the doctor at all.
1. Maly selects first meat for lunch.
2. The supplies are delivered by truck loads.
3. Mirkon is a great organizer.
4. It is a hot day, 32° C (90° F).
5. The first day is all about preparedness.
6. Abratek is an accomplished sausage maker, the professional pastry chef and a great cook.
7. Podlasiak runs his own restaurant and knows cooking well.
8. Ladies do many chores.
9. Ladies work all the time.
10. Chopping vegetables.
11. Preparing sandwiches.
12. Making salads.
13. More salads.
14. Aga works day ...
15. ...and night.
16. Halusia baked some buns.
17. Starting cakes.
18. Cakes are ready.
19. Lithuanian famous Sekacz cake was made by Beiot.
20. It requires about 60 eggs. This is how it is cut.
21. Gonzo, Zboj and a friend try to figure out what to do next.
22. Zboj had the most courage.
23. Andrzej and Maly continue carving.
24. Look what I have got says Wosiu.
25. Podlasiak and Andrzej.
26. Abratek has made sausages.
27. It takes a few men to load up the smokehouse.
28. I made this look good, says Gonzo.
29. White sausages.
30. Roman-the chairman of the "heavies" club.
31. Asia slices hams and butts.
32. Wosiu offers refreshments.
33. Wosiu and Halusia.
35. Military wood fired oven continuously boils water for cleaning.
36. Wojtek can process 1/2 pig in 40 minutes.
37. Meat carving.
38. Meat carving.
39. Trimmings are boiled for special sausages (liver, blood).
40. Wojtek takes a break before making sausages.
41. Andrzej loads stuffer with blood sausage stuffing.
42. Linking blood sausages.
43. Blood sausages.
44. Andrzej and Tadzio make more sausages.
45. Linking sausages.
46. Dr. Chudziak grinds meat.
47. Anybody is welcome to try.
48. Abratek linking sausages.
49. Beiot and Gonzo try something.
50. Dr. Chudziak and Gonzo.
51. Kuba attends the convention every year and becomes better.
52. Youngsters like him keep the tradition going.
53. Kuba using electric grinder.
54. Learning casings from Tadzio.
55. Mincing garlic.
56. Using garlic press.
57. Helping father with barbecue.
58. Taking over.
59. Helping Jacek seal pierogi.
60. Kuba and happy Mom.
61. Ania runs a cheese making class.
62. Cheeses are made from cow, sheep and goat milk.
63. Tadzio is an accomplished sausage and cheese maker.
64. Straining cheese.
65. Ania forms traditional "Oscypek" smoked cheese.
66. Different cheeses.
67. Combination barbecue, smoker and oven units get ready.
68. I love this hog, says Andrzej.
69. Pig goes on a spit.
70. Pig is loaded into the gas fired oven.
71. Pigs like beer.
72. Pig is done ...
73. ...and tastes delicious
74. Head tastes great.
75. It is not easy to get 2" (5 cm) back fat anymore.
76. Top quality wood chips were donated by Monrol.
78. Tadzio and Grazyna.
79. Hazing party for new comers.
80. Gonzo and Ania.
81. Festivities continue through the night.
82. Some go to sleep, others wake up.
83. Cardinal Lutek.
84. Cardinal with Jola.
85. Mirek buys his passage to heaven.
87. Last night.
88. Almost time to go.
89. See you next year.
90. Luiza and Skwarka handle all things.
91. Top brass.
93. Aneta's daughter.
94. Aneta's daughter.
95. We are #1.
Available from Amazon
There is a negligible amount of information on Spanish sausages in English, and even the Spanish books offer only a few recipes with general information, very skimpy instructions and hardly any explanations. "Spanish Sausages, Authentic Recipes and Instructions" fills this void and the readers will know not only what is a chorizo, longaniza, salchichón, fuet, morcilla, butifarra, salchicha, sobrasada, fiambre, androlla, butelo, morcón as well as many others, but also learn how to make each sausage. Of special interest is a collection of 200 recipes which were chosen for their originality and historical value. The book is a highly recommended addition to personal and professional culinary additions.