White Perch (Morone americana)
Perch is a small fish, common in Florida waters. It has a tough lower jaw area and there is a limited amount of space between the vent and jaw for gutting. The easiest approach is to cut off the head and then to gut the fish.
- Scale the fish. Cut off the head, split the belly from the vent until the hard bony structure of the jaw. Remove the entrails.
- Wash the cavity and the fish.
- Brine for 5 minutes in 80° brine. (Add 2.2 lbs of salt to 1 gallon of water. This makes 80 degrees brine). Wash and drain.
- Dry the fish for 60 minutes in a preheated to 100° F (38° C) smokehouse.
- Smoke for 60 minutes at 185° F (85° C). Switch off the heat and smoke for 30 minutes more.