Wild Boar Superb Sausage
This is a great sausage made from wild boar, pork belly (bacon) and beef. Although boar is a wild pig, nevertheless its meat is much leaner and will benefit from some pork fat. Beef is added due to its water binding properties; by adding extra water we create a juicier product.
|boar meat||750 g||1.65 lb|
|fat pork belly||150 g||5.3 oz|
|beef||100 g||3.5 oz|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|salt||20 g||3.5 tsp|
|cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|pepper||6 g||3 tsp|
|marjoram||4 g||2 tsp|
|ground mustard seed||4 g||2 tsp|
|garlic||14 g||4 cloves|
- Reserve 0.25 g (1/10) of cure #1 for beef. Grind beef through small plate, add cure #1 and mix. Add as much cold water as the meat can absorb. Leave for 24 hours in cool place,
- preferably in refrigerator.
- Grind boar meat and bacon with 10 mm (3/8") plate. Add salt and the rest of cure #1. Leave for 24 hours in cool place, preferably in refrigerator.
- Mix meats together and add spices. Smash garlic through garlic press or chop finely. Apply some force when mixing, the proper word will be kneading. Don't add water, the meat
- should become sticky.
- Stuff into 36-38 mm natural casings. Follow either A, B or C step
- A. Cook for 40-45 minutes in hot water at 176 - 185 F (80-85 C). Cool sausages in cold water. OR:
- B. Hang sausages for 2 hours at room temperature to dry out casings. In meantime warm up the smokehouse.
- Smoke for 3 hours with hot smoke at 130-140 F (55-60 C).
- Cook in hot water at 176 - 185 F (80-85 C) until inside meat temperature reaches 155-160 F (68-71 C). This may take 25-30 minutes. Cool sausages in cold water.
- C. After smoking the sausages may be baked in a smokehouse: start increasing smokehouse temperature to 185 F (85 C). Hold at this temperature until inside meat temperature
- reaches 155-160 F (68-71 C).Cool in the air.
- Store in refrigerator or in a cool place.
For C method: Sausages may be left hanging in a cool, well ventillated place at 54-59 F (12-15 C), they will loose more moisture and will become semi-dry and then dry sausages.