Venison is a naturally lean meat and to make a good sausage pork meat (70/30) or pork fat must be added.
|venison||600 g||1.32 lbs.|
|pork butt or fat pork trimmings||400 g||0.88 lb.|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||18 g||3 tsp.|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||½ tsp.|
|pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|marjoram, dry||3.0 g||2 tsp.|
|garlic||3.5 g||1 clove|
|cold water||100 ml||⅜ cup|
- Grind all meats and fat through a 3/8” (10 mm) plate.
- Mix ground meat with all ingredients adding water.
- Stuff tightly into 32-36 mm hog casings. Make 6” long links.
- Hang overnight in a cool place.
- Preheat smoker to 130º F, (54º C) then apply heavy smoke for 2-3 hours. In last hour of smoking start slowly increasing temperature to about 170º F, (77º C).
- Stop baking when meat reaches 165º F, (74º C) internal temperature.
- Shower sausages with cold water and hang them to further cool down.
- Store in refrigerator.
Sausage does not need to be smoked. After stuffing the sausage may be cooked for 40 minutes in hot water (176º F, 80º C).