Vegetarian Smoked Sausage
Vegetarian smoked sausage is made with ground wheat gluten, soy protein, oil, liquid smoke and spices.
|Wheat gluten||800 g||1.76 lb|
|Soy emulsion||100 g||3.5 oz|
|Vital wheat gluten||50 g||1.76 oz|
|Potato starch||20 g||0.7 oz|
|Guar gum||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Carrageenan||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Salt||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Pepper||4 g||0.14 oz|
|Marjoram||1 g||0.03 oz|
|Garlic powder||5 g||0.17 oz|
|Liquid smoke||15 ml||0.5 oz fl|
- Grind wheat gluten through 3/8" (10 mm) plate.
- Mix ground gluten with emulsion and spices.
- Add vital wheat gluten, starch, guar, carrageenan and carrageenan and mix all together.
- Stuff hard into 38 mm casings.
- Cook in 176-185° F (80-85° C) water for 20 minutes.
- Place sausages in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Remove and let them cool.
* to make emulsion use given ratio (by weight) of soy protein isolate : vegetable oil : water (or other liquid). Using a manual whisk or electric blender mix soy protein isolate with water first until a smooth paste is obtained. Then start gradually adding oil until mayonnaise-like emulsion is obtained. More about emulsions. 100 g soy protein emulsion = 10 soy protein isolate : 40 g oil : 50 g water