Meats and Sausages
Vegetarian Polenta Sausage with Cranberries
Polenta is cornmeal boiled into a porridge. Polenta has a creamy texture due to the gelatinization of starch in the grain. Polenta takes 35-45 minutes to cook, typically simmering in water in four times its volume with almost constant stirring, necessary for even gelatinization of the starch.
|Polenta||750 g||1.65 lb|
|Cranberries||50 g||1.76 oz|
|Raisins||50 g||1.76 oz|
|Sugar||25 g||0.88 oz|
|Maple syrup||30 ml||1 oz fl|
|Vanilla extract||30 ml||1 oz fl|
|Potato starch||25 g||0.88 oz|
|Guar gum||15 g||0.53 oz|
|Carrageenan||10 g||0.35 oz|
- Mix 1 cup of cornmeal with 2 parts of cold water.
- In a separate pot bring 1-1/2 cup of water to a boil.
- Add soaked cornmeal and simmer for 35 minutes stirring often.
- Add maple syrup, vanilla, chopped unsoaked cranberries and raisins to 750 g of cool polenta.
- Stir together.
- Add starch, guar gum and carrageenan and mix.
- Stuff hard into 38 mm casings.
- Cook in 176-185° F (80-85° C) water for 20 minutes.
- Place sausages in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Remove and let them cool.