Vegetarian Hunter Sausage
Vegetarian hunter sausage is made from wheat gluten, rice, ground flaxseeds, oil, mushrooms and spices.
|Ground wheat gluten||500 g||1.10 lb|
|Cooked rice||200 g||7.0 oz|
|Flaxseed emulsion (1:2:2)||100 g||3.5 oz|
|Potato starch||20 g||0.7 oz|
|Guar gum||5 g||0.17 oz|
|Carrageenan||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Potato flour||40 g||1.41 oz|
|Onion||50 g||1.76 oz|
|Mushrooms||50 g||1.76 oz|
|Oil||30 ml||1 oz fl|
|Potato flour (for onions)||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Salt||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Pepper||4 g||0.14 oz|
|Marjoram||2 g||0.07 oz|
|Coriander||2 g||0.07 oz|
|Chopped parsley||3 Tbsp||3 Tbsp|
- Finely chop onion and mushrooms.
- Fry on medium heat in a little oil until onions are glassy and light yellow.
- Stir in potato flour and cook 4 minutes longer.
- Let cool.
- Except potato flour, starch, guar and carrageenan, mix all ingredients.
- Add starch, guar and carrageenan and mix again.
- Lastly, add potato flour and mix all again.
- Stuff hard into 38 mm casings.
- Cook in 176-185° F (80-85° C) water for 20 minutes.
- Place sausages in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Remove and let them cool.
* to make emulsion use given ratio (by weight) of ground flaxseeds : vegetable oil : water (or other liquid). Using a manual whisk or electric blender mix ground flaxseeds with water first until a smooth paste is obtained. Then start gradually adding oil until mayonnaise-like emulsion is obtained. More about emulsions. 100 g flaxseed emulsion = 20 g ground flaxseed : 40 g oil : 40 g water