Vegetarian Granola Sausage
Granola is a popular snack food, known as a "flapjack" in the United Kingdom, and as a "muesli bar" or "cereal bar" in Australia and New Zealand. It consists of rolled oats, nuts, honey, that is usually baked until crisp. Dried fruits, such as raisins and dates, are sometimes added. Honey is often substituted with golden syrup, brown sugar brings more flavor than white sugar. Granola is also often eaten by those who are hiking, camping, or backpacking because it is lightweight, high in calories, and easy to store. Granola that includes flax seeds is often used to improve digestion.
|Cooked rolled oats||600 g||1.32 lb|
|Flaxseed emulsion (1:2:2)*||200 g||7 oz|
|Honey (or maple)||30 g||1.05 oz|
|Brown sugar||30 g||1.05 oz|
|Dry raisins||50 g||1.76 oz|
|Dry cranberries||50 g||1.76 oz|
|Crushed pecans||30 g||1.05 oz|
|Starch||25 g||0.88 oz|
|Guar gum||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Carrageenan||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Cinnamon||0.5 g||0.01 oz|
|Vanilla extract||15 ml||0.52 oz|
- Rolled oats are the plain instant type of oats.
- Oats to water ratio 1:2.
- Cook for 4 minutes.
- Except starch, guar and carrageenan, mix all ingredients together.
- Add starch, guar and carrageenan and mix all together.
- Stuff hard into 38 mm casings.
- Cook in 176-185° F (80-85° C) water for 20 minutes.
- Place sausages in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Remove and let them cool.
* to make emulsion use given ratio (by weight) of ground flaxseeds : vegetable oil : water (or other liquid). Using a manual whisk or electric blender mix ground flaxseeds with water first until a smooth paste is obtained. Then start gradually adding oil until mayonnaise-like emulsion is obtained. More about emulsions. 200 g flaxseed emulsion = 40 g ground flaxseed : 80 g oil : 80 g water