Vegetarian Sausage with Cranberries
Wheat gluten, cranberries, soy protein and vegetable oil are the main ingredients. The right texture is obtained by adding potato starch, guar gum and carrageenan.
|Ground wheat gluten||700 g||1.54 lb|
|Soy protein emulsion (1:4:5)*||100 g||3.5 oz|
|Vital wheat gluten flour||60 g||2.11 oz|
|Potato starch||20 g||0.7 oz|
|Guar gum||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Carrageenan||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Dry cranberries||50 g||50 g|
|Salt||5 g||0.17 oz|
|Sugar||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Allspice||1 g||0.01 oz|
|Onion powder||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Cinnamon||0.3 g||0.01 oz|
- Grind wheat gluten through a small plate.
- Chop cranberries and soak for 30 minutes in water.
- Mix all ingredients except vital wheat gluten flour, starch, guar and carrageenan.
- Add vital wheat gluten flour, starch, guar and carrageenan and mix all together.
- Stuff hard into 38 mm casings.
- Cook in 176-185° F (80-85° C) water for 20 minutes.
- Place sausages in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Remove and let them cool.
* to make emulsion use given ratio (by weight) of soy protein isolate : vegetable oil : water (or other liquid). Using a manual whisk or electric blender mix soy protein isolate with water first until a smooth paste is obtained. Then start gradually adding oil until mayonnaise-like emulsion is obtained. More about emulsions. 100 g soy protein emulsion = 10 soy protein isolate : 40 g oil : 50 g water