Vegetarian Buckwheat Sausage
Triangular buckwheat groats are commonly used in western Asia and eastern Europe. Porridge was common, and was often considered the definitive peasant dish. The dish was brought to America by Ukrainian, Russian and Polish immigrants who called it kasha and they used it as a filling for cabbage rolls, knishes or served with meats and goulash. Buckwheat is a popular ingredient in blood sausages. Buckwheat is a short season crop that grows well on poor-fertility or acidic soil. Unlike other crops, buckwheat responds negatively to too much fertilizer, especially nitrogen. Once we discovered fertilizers other grains became more profitable as they responded well to fertilizers. Buckwheat contains no gluten.
|Cooked buckwheat groats||500 g||1.1 lb|
|Flaxseed emulsion (1:2:2)*||200 g||7 oz|
|Tofu||150 g||5.3 oz|
|Potato flour||50 g||1.76 oz|
|Guar gum||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Carrageenan||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Salt||5 g||0.17 oz|
|Pepper||4 g||0.14 oz|
|Allspice||1 g||0.03 oz|
|Cayenne pepper||0.5 g||0.01 oz|
|Onion powder||15 g||0.52 oz|
- Buckwheat to water ratio 1:1.8
- Measure 200 g buckwheat and 450 ml of water.
- Bring water to a boil, add buckwheat and simmer partially covered for 15 minutes. Do not stir.
- Switch off the heat and leave groats uncovered to cool for 30 minutes.
- Make flaxseed emulsion (1:2:2).
- Dice tofu and mix with all ingredients except (0.5 oz fl) potato flour, guar gum and carrageenan.
- Add carrageenan, guar gum and potato flour and mix all together.
- Stuff hard into 38 mm casings without delay.
- Cook in 176-185° F (80-85° C) water for 20 minutes.
- Place sausages in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Remove and let them cool.
* to make emulsion use given ratio (by weight) of ground flaxseeds : vegetable oil : water (or other liquid). Using a manual whisk or electric blender mix ground flaxseeds with water first until a smooth paste is obtained. Then start gradually adding oil until mayonnaise-like emulsion is obtained. More about emulsions. 200 g flaxseed emulsion = 40 g ground flaxseed : 80 g oil : 80 g water