Vegetarian Bread Crumb Sausage
A basic sausage that can be served cold or hot. Bread crumbs are a great filler material which is often added to sausages.
|Plain bread crumbs||250 g||0.55 lb|
|Water||400 ml||13.3 oz fl|
|Soy emulsion (1:4:5)*||200 g||7 oz|
|Vital wheat gluten flour*||50 g||1.76 oz|
|Potato starch||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Guar gum||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Carrageenan||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Salt||5 g||0.17 oz|
|White pepper||2 g||0.07 oz|
|Allspice||1 g||0.03 oz|
|Onion powder||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Chopped parsley||2 tablespoons||2 tablespoons|
- Soak bread crumbs for 20 minutes in 400 ml of water.
- Mix bread crumbs, soy emulsion and spices together.
- Add starch, guar, carrageenan and vital wheat gluten flour and mix all together.
- Stuff hard into 38 fibrous casings. Cook in 176-185° F (80-85° C) water for 20 minutes.
- Place sausages in cold water for 5 minutes. Remove and let them cool.
- * People allergic to gluten may replace vital wheat gluten flour with potato flour.
* to make emulsion use given ratio (by weight) of soy protein isolate : vegetable oil : water (or other liquid). Using a manual whisk or electric blender mix soy protein isolate with water first until a smooth paste is obtained. Then start gradually adding oil until mayonnaise-like emulsion is obtained. More about emulsions. 200 g soy protein emulsion = 20 soy protein isolate : 80 g oil : 100 g water