Soppressata is made with natural flavors such as cumin, black pepper, red pepper and chilli peppers which are added to the meat which is then aged. Depending on the type of product, the aging process may last from a minimum of thirty to a maximum of one hundred days.
|pork butt||800 g||1.76 lb.|
|back fat||200 g||0.44 lb.|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||28 g||5 tsp.|
|Cure #2||2.5 g||½ tsp.|
|dextrose||10 g||2 tsp.|
|black pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|red pepper flakes||1.0 g||½ tsp.|
|whole peppercorns||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|chili powder||1.0 g||½ tsp.|
|garlic powder||1.5 g||½ tsp.|
- Grind meat and fat through ½” (12 mm) plate.
- Mix ground meat with all ingredients.
- Pack tightly in a container, cover with cloth and refrigerate for 48 hours.
- Grind through ⅜” (10 mm) plate.
- Stuff into 60 mm, 8-10” long hog middles.
- Hang sausage at 68º F (20º C), 80-90% humidity for 2 days.
- If smoky flavor is desired, apply cold smoke for 2 days.
- Hold sausage at around 56º F (14º C), 80% humidity for about 2 months until it loses about 30% of its original weight.
- If mold appears wipe it off with a cloth moistened with vinegar. You can cold smoke sausage again for a few hours which prevents the formation of mold.