Serdelki is the Polish equivalent of a wiener which is packed in a larger diameter casing. This is a high quality fine textured emulsified sausage that has a superior taste compared to mass produced hot dog or frankfurter.
|pork||500 g||1.10 lb.|
|beef||250 g||0.55 lb.|
|fat pork trimmings||250 g||0.55 lb.|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||18 g||3 tsp.|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||½ tsp.|
|white pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|nutmeg||1.5 g g||1 tsp.|
|garlic||3.5 g||1 clove|
|cold water||120 ml||½ cup|
- Grind pork and pork trimmings through 3/16” (5 mm) plate, refreeze and grind again through 1/8” (3 mm) plate. Repeat procedure with beef.
- Mix everything together adding water and all ingredients. You can use a food processor.
- Stuff firmly into 32-34 mm hog or 28-30 mm sheep casings. Make a continuous rope but form links about 4” (10 cm) long. You may form links using butchers twine.
- Place sausages on smoke sticks and hang for 30-60 minutes.
- When sausages feel dry to the touch, apply hot smoke 60-70º C (140-158º F) for about 100 minutes until a light reddish - brown color develops.
- Poach in water at 75º C (167º F) for about 15 minutes. The internal meat temperature should be 68-72º C (152 - 160º F).
- Place under running tap water for 3 minutes.
- Store in a refrigerator.