This sausage recipe offers detailed instructions on making Polish garlic sausage (Kiełbasa Czosnkowa) in which garlic is the dominant spice. Although freshly made sausage may have a noticeable garlic flavor, nevertheless this garlicky flavor dissipates quite rapidly. The sausage is made with top quality cured meats.
Prep time: 2 hours
Cook time: 30 minutes
|lean pork||350 g||12.34 oz|
|semi-fat pork||200 g||12.34 oz|
|lean or semi-fat beef||250 g||8.81 oz|
|hard fat trimmings||200 g||12.34 oz|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|cure # 1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|pepper||2 g||1 tsp|
|garlic||6 g||2 cloves|
|coriander||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|paprika||1 g||1/2 tsp|
|marjoram||1.5 g||1 tsp|
- Curing. Cut pork and beef meat into 5-6 cm (2”) pieces, mix with 2 tsp of salt and Cure # 1. Pack tightly in separate containers, cover with a cloth and leave for 48 hours in refrigerator. Mix fat trimmings with 1 tsp salt and place in refrigerator for 48 hours.
- Grind lean pork through 3/4" (20 mm) plate, semi-fat pork and hard fat through 3/8" (10 mm) plate. Grind beef through 2 mm plate and emulsify in food processor adding 50% (in relation to beef weight) of finely crushed ice or cold water. Add spices at this stage.
- Mix everything together.
- Stuff casings firmly into 40 mm beef rounds and form rings. Sausage is formed into a ring by the natural properties (twist) of a beef middle, outside diameter 50-70 cm (20-27”) depending on a size of the casing. Both ends tied together with a twine.
- Hang at room temperature for 30-60 minutes.
- Apply hot smoke for 110-130 min until casings develop brown color with a red tint.
- Poach sausages at 161-167°F (72-75°C) for 25-35 min until the meat reaches temperature of 154-158°F (68-70°C).
- Shower with cold water 15 min, wipe dry and place in a cooler.
All meats are cured