Bydgoska Sausage (Kiełbasa bydgoska surowa)
Cold smoked sausage from the city of Bydgoszcz. The recipe comes from the government archives of Polish sausages.
|Pork class II (pork butt)||1000 g||2.2 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||21 g||3-1/2 tsp|
|Cure # 1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||1.5 g||1 tsp|
|Marjoram||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Sugar||2.0 g||1/2 tsp|
- Grind meat through 13 mm (3/8") plate.
- Mix ground meat with all ingredients until sticky. Do not add water.
- Stuff into 32-36 mm hog casings forming 15 cm (6”) long links. Leave links in long coils.
- Condition (hang) sausage for 1-2 days at 2-6° C (35-42° F) and 85-90% humidity.
- Apply a thin cold smoke for 1-1.5 days until the casings develop yellow-light brown color. Re-arrange smoke sticks or smoke carts during smoking.
- Dry at 10-12° C (50-53° F) and 75-80% humidity until the yield is 87% in relation to the original weight of the meat. This should take about 2 weeks. Divide sausage coils into pairs.
- Store at 53° F (12° C) or lower.
87% yield means that the finished sausage has retained 87% of its original unprocessed weight. In other words it has lost 13% of the moisture.