Polish Sausage-Hot Smoked (Polska kiełbasa wędzona)
Polish Hot Smoked Sausage consists of pork, salt, pepper, garlic and optional marjoram. This is the hot smoked version known all over the world which is much easier and faster to make than the cold smoked version that was more popular in the past. Unfortunately, for marketing purposes, most producers call any sausage stuffed in 36 mm casings Polish Smoked Sausage with a total disregard for the materials and ingredients that go inside. The meat should be cured, mixed with spices, stuffed into ring shaped casing, smoked and cooked in water. The same ingredients are used for Polish Cold Smoked Sausage; what is different is the manufacturing process.
|pork butt||1000 g||2.20 lb.|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||18 g||3 tsp.|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||½ tsp.|
|pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|marjoram||1.0 g||⅔ tsp.|
|garlic||3.5 g||1 clove|
|cold water||100 ml||⅜ cup|
- Grind the lean meat with a 3/8” grinder plate and the fat meat through 3/16” plate.
- Mix everything together adding cold water.
- Stuff mixture into 32 - 36 mm hog casings and form links 12 - 13” (30 - 35 cm).
- Hang on smoke sticks for 1-2 hours at room temperature
- OR place sausages in a preheated smoker at 130º F (54º C) with draft dampers fully open.
- When casings are fully dry apply heavy smoke and keep draft dampers 1/4 open. Smoke for 60-90 minutes. * Keep on increasing the smoking temperature until you reach 160 - 170º F (71-76º C) range. Sausage is done when the internal temperature reaches 154º F (68º C).
- Remove from smoker and shower with water or immerse sausages in water.
- Store in refrigerator.