Nevezis is a Lithuanian beef and pork sausage that owes its name to the Nevezis River. From Wikipedia: Nevezis is the sixth longest river in Lithuania and one of the main tributaries of the Neman River. Its length is 209 km (130 mi), and it flows only within the geographical confines of Lithuania. It is the second longest river in Lithuania, after the Sventoji River, that flows exclusively within its borders. Its source is in the Anyksciai district municipality, and the river first flows in a northwesterly direction, but then at Panevezys turns towards the southwest, and passing Kedainiai, flows into the Neman River just west of Kaunas near Raudondvaris.
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 3 hours
|beef, regular||500 g||1.10 lb|
|pork jowls (or bacon),||500 g||1.10 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||25 g||4 tsp|
|pepper, white||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|allspice, ground||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|onion, fresh||50 g||1 small onion|
|water||200 g||3/4 cup|
- Grind beef and pork through 2-3 mm (1/8") plate. Keep separate
- Mix all beef with 200 g (200 ml) water. Then mix with pork, salt and spices.
- Mix all well together until the mass feels sticky
- Stuff the sausage mass into 26-36 mm natural sheep or pork casings. Make 15 cm (6") long links.
- Bake for 30-60 minutes at 100° C (212° F). Stop baking when internal meat temperature reaches 40° C (104° F). Don't overcook, you are baking the surface of the sausage only.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) until meat reaches 72° C (160° F) internal temperature.
- Shower with cold water, then cool in the air to 15° C (59° F).
- Smoke for 2-3 hours with medium hot smoke at 35-45° C (95-113° F).
- Keep refrigerated.