Mortadella di Bologna
The name mortadella originates from the Latin words myrtle (mirtatum) and mortar (mortario) and the sausage was made the same way in Italy for hundreds of years. It is a finely ground or emulsified sausage with cubes of white fat, whole peppercorns and pistachio nuts. Mortadella di Bologna carries Protected Geographical Indication (PGI) status in Europe and is the pride of Bologna city. This large diameter sausage can be found all over the world. In Spanish speaking countries it is spelled mortadela, and its recipe is quite similar to the traditional Italian, with additional pepper grains. In Spain and Portugal peppers and olives are often added. Mortadella is also very popular in Argentina, Bolivia, Peru, Brazil, Ecuador, Chile, Colombia, Uruguay and Venezuela, thanks to the Italian immigrants who settled in these countries in the early 20th century.
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 2 hours
|Pork||700 g||1.54 lb|
|Jowls, belly or fat trimmings||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Back fat||100 g||0.22 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|cure #1||2.5 g||½ tsp|
|white pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|whole peppercorns||4.0 g||1 tsp|
|coriander||0.5 g||¼ tsp|
|garlic powder||1.5 g||½ tsp|
|anise||1.0 g||½ tsp|
|mace||1.0 g||½ tsp|
|caraway, ground||0.5 g||¼ tsp|
|pistachios, whole||35 g||¼ cup|
|red wine||60 ml||¼ cup|
|cold water||60 ml||2 oz fl|
- Dice back fat into ¼” cubes for use as show meat.
- Grind all meats through ¼” (6 mm) plate, partially refreeze ground meat and grind again through ⅛” (3 mm) plate.
- Mix ground meats with all ingredients (except whole peppercorns and pistachios).
- Emulsify ground meats in a food processor adding cold water and red wine. (If there i no food processor available, partially refreeze ground meat and grind again through 3 mm plate).
- Mix emulsified meat paste with cubed fat, pistachios and whole peppercorns.
- Stuff into 100 mm (4") fibrous casings.
- Cook in water at 176 °F (80° C) to an internal meat temperature of 154°F (68° C), about 2 hours.
- Cool and refrigerate.