Mettwurst - Braunschweiger
German spreadable sausage.
|beef||300 g||0.66 lb.|
|pork butt||300 g||0.66 lb.|
|bacon||400 g||0.88 lb.|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||23 g||4 tsp.|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||½ tsp.|
|dextrose (glucose), 0.2%||2.0 g||⅓ tsp.|
|pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|paprika||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|mace||0.5 g||⅓ tsp.|
|juniper extract*||1.0 g||⅓ tsp.|
|T-SPX culture||0.12 g||use scale|
- Grind all meats through ⅛” (3 mm) plate. Re-freeze meats and grind again. You may grind once and then emulsify in the food processor without adding water.
- Add all ingredients, starter culture included, during this step.
- Stuff firmly into 40-60 mm beef middles or fibrous casings. Form 8-10” (20-25 cm) links.
- Ferment for 48 hours at 18º C (64º F), 75% humidity.
- Apply cold smoke for 12 hours at 18º C (64º F).
- Store in a refrigerator
Cold smoking is drying with smoke and it is not a continuous process. Smoke is applied for about one hour, then the sausage “rests” for one hour. The cycle is repeated again and again.
* insert 20 g of crushed juniper berries into 120 ml (½ cup) vodka or cognac and leave in a closed jar for 2-3 days. Filter the liquid from berries.