Meats and Sausages
Loukanka is a very well known Bulgarian dry sausage. It is formed into a traditional flat shape and it has great keeping qualities.
|lean pork||800 g||1.76 lb.|
|pork back fat or fat trimmings||200 g||0.44 lb.|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||28 g||5 tsp.|
|Cure #2||2.5 g||½ tsp.|
|dextrose(glucose)||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|cumin||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|garlic powder||3.0 g||1 tsp.|
|OR fresh garlic||10.0 g||3 cloves|
|T-SPX culture||0.12 g||use scale|
- Grind lean pork and fat through 3/16” plate (5 mm).
- Mix all ingredients with meat.
- Stuff firmly into 28-30 mm hog casings.
- Ferment at 20º C (68º F) for 72 hours, 90-85% humidity. At the beginning of the fermentation process place weight on sausages to flatten them out.
- Dry at 16-12º C (60-54º F), 85-80% humidity for about 1-2 months.
- Store sausages at 10-15º C (50-59º F), 75% humidity.
Loukanka has very little tang due to the small amount of sugar introduced into the mix. For this reason fermentation temperature is low and 0.2% dextrose will create a small pH drop, just enough to provide a safety hurdle during the beginning of the process.