Tomatenleberwurst (Tomato Liver Sausage)
Tomatenleberwurst is German liver sausage with tomato sauce.
|Pork liver||350 g||0.77 lb|
|Pork belly or jowls||550 g||1.21 lb|
|Tomato puree (sauce)||100 g||0.22 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Cardamom||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Ginger||0.3 g||1/8 tsp|
|Onion, chopped||40 g||1/2 onion|
|Maggi™ seasoning*||5 ml||1 tsp|
- Boil pork belly or jowls at 90° C (194° F) for 20 minutes. Cool in running water.
- Fry chopped onion in fat until glassy and golden.
- Grind pork belly through 3 mm (1/8")
- Grind raw liver and onions through 3 mm (1/8") plate.
- Mix liver, belly, tomato puree and all ingredients.
- Stuff into 45 mm waterproof synthetic casings forming 20 cm (8") links.
- Boil at 80° C (176° F) for 50 minutes.
- Cool and refrigerate.
* Maggi is German seasoning that is used all over the world. It tastes like soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce mixed together. Invented by Julius Maggi, a miller from Switzerland, the sauce has been manufactured in Germany since 1887.