Semmelleberwurst (Liver Sausage With Wheat Roll)
Semmelleberwurst (Liver Sausage With Wheat Roll) is German liver sausage. The practice of making liver sausages with white bread or rolls is wide spread in most European countries. (semmel=roll, leber-liver, wurst-sausage).
|Pork liver||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Pork belly||250 g||0.55 lb|
|Pork rich in connective tissue and/or*||350 g||0.77 lb|
|White wheat rolls or bread**||200 g||0.44 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Marjoram, rubbed||3.0 g||2 tsp|
|Allspice, ground||1.0 g||1 tsp|
|Onions, chopped||40 g||1/2 onion|
- Except the liver, boil other meats and fats at 95° C (203° F) until soft. Drain, lay on the table and remove any bones. Save meat stock.
- Soak rolls or bread in meat stock for 30 minutes. Squeeze the liquid out.
- Fry the onions in fat until glassy and golden.
- Grind the raw liver and onions through 3 mm (1/8") plate.
- Grind meat and fats through 3 mm (1/8") plate.
- Mix meat, fat, liver, bread and spices together.
- Stuff into 28 mm pork casings forming 30 cm (1 foot) links,
- Boil in water at 75° C (167° F) for 30 minutes.
- Immerse in cold water for 5 minutes, ten place on the table to cool.
* head meat, face masks, offal meat (heart, tongue, lungs). ** * dry rolls or bread are fine.