Sardellenleberwurst (Liver Sausage with Sardines)
Sardellenleberwurst (Liver Sausage with Sardines) is traditional German sausage made with pork liver and sardines.
|Pork liver||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Pork, lean||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Pork belly||250 g||0.55 lb|
|Pork back fat or fat trimmings||120 g||0.26 lb|
|Sardines||30 g||1.1 oz|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|White pepper||3.0 g||1.5 tsp|
|Marjoram, ground||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Thyme, rubbed||0.5 g||1 tsp|
|Ginger, ground||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
- Boil lean pork (below the boiling point) and pork belly until semi-soft. Cool, then grind through 3 mm (1/8") plate.
- Cut the liver into strips and scald them with hot water for 5-10 minutes so they become white. Let them cool, then grind them through 3 mm (1/8") plate.
- Scald fat with hot water, cool, then grind with sardines through 3 mm (1/8") plate.
- Mix all meats, fat, liver and spices together.
- Stuff loosely into 36 mm hog casings.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) for 40 minutes.
- Immerse sausages in cold water for 10 minutes.
- Wipe off the moisture, dry briefly and refrigerate.
You can use fresh or canned in water boneless and skinless sardines.