Salchicha de Higado Mezcla (Liver Sausage with Pork and Beef)
Spanish liver sausage with pork liver and beef.
|Pork liver||250 g||0.55 lb|
|Beef||250 g||0.55 lb|
|Pork belly, back fat||500 g||1.1 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||21 g||3.5 tsp|
|Pepper||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Allspice||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Thyme||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
- Immerse liver for 3-5 minutes in hot water at around 95º C (203º F) which is below boiling point. Drain and cool.
- Grind liver through 3 mm (1/8") plate.
- Separately grind meat and fat through 3 mm (1/8") plate.
- Emulsify liver paste in food processor. Add meat, fat, all ingredients and emulsify again.
- Stuff into 45-50 mm pork or beef middles.
- Cook in water at 80º C (176º F) for 60 minutes.
- Cool in cold water for 10 minutes, then cool in air and refrigerate.
Don't cook the liver, just scald it with hot water. Cooked liver looses its emulsifying properties. You can also insert briefly liver in hot water and remove it, repeating the process three times. The liver will change its color on outside from dark red to pale.