Salchicha de Higado
A basic Spanish liver sausage. Liver sausages can be spreadable, have a firm texture and be of grey, pink, yellow or almost white color. They can include rice, bread, eggs, tripe, cream and flours. Different livers can also be used: veal, pork, rabbit, goose, beef, poultry or wild game.
|Lean pork||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Pork liver||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Back fat, pork belly, jowls||250 g||0.55 lb|
|Meat trimmings rich in connective tissue||50 g||0.11 lb|
|Pork skins||50 g||0.11 lb|
|Chopped onion||50 g||0.11 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||12 g||2 tsp|
|White pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Allspice||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Meat stock from cooking meats||60 ml||2 oz fl|
- Cook pork meat (except liver), meat trimmings and skins in water at 95° C (203° F) until soft. Cook belly, back fat, jowls for 10 minutes only. Drain and cool. Save meat stock.
- Fry finely chopped onion in lard until light yellow, but not brown.
- Grind meat and fat through 1/4” (6 mm) plate.
- Grind liver through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Using food processor emulsify liver, skins and meat trimmings rich in connective tissue adding spices and 60 ml of meat stock.
- Mix ground meat, fat and emulsified paste together.
- Stuff into 36-40 mm hog casings.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) for 40-50 minutes. Immerse for 10 minutes in cold water. Drain, dry briefly and refrigerate.
Don't cook the liver, just scald it with hot water. Cooked liver looses its emulsifying properties. You can also insert briefly liver in hot water and remove it, repeating the process 3 times. The liver will change its color on outside from dark red to pale.