Salchicha Exquisita de Higado (Excellent Liver Sausage)
A high quality Spanish liver sausage.
|Pork liver||350 g||0.77 lb|
|Pork meat, semi-fat||400 g||0.88 lb|
|Pork fat||250 g||0.55 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||21 g||3.5 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Nutmeg||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Marjoram||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Cloves, ground||0.3 g||1/8 tsp|
|Onion, chopped and fried||50 g||1.76 oz|
- Immerse liver for 3-5 minutes in hot water at around 95º C (203º F) which is below boiling point. Drain and cool.
- Chop the onion and fry in fat until glassy and gold. Do not brown the onion as it will acquire a bitter taste.
- Grind liver with onion through 3 mm (1/8") plate.
- Separately grind meat and fat through 3 mm (1/8") plate.
- Emulsify liver paste in food processor. Add meat, fat, all ingredients and emulsify again.
- Stuff into 45-50 mm pork or beef middles.
- Cook in water at 80º C (176º F) for 60 minutes.
- Cool in cold water for 10 minutes, then cool in air and refrigerate.
Don't cook the liver, just scald it with hot water. Cooked liver looses its emulsifying properties. You can also insert briefly liver in hot water and remove it, repeating the process three times. The liver will change its color on outside from dark red to pale.