Cacholeira Branca de Portalegre
Cacholeira Branca de Portalegre is a Portuguese liver sausage. The sausage is produced in the municipalities of the District of Portalegre.
|Pork liver||350 g||0.77 lb|
|Offal meat: spleen, kidney, heart, meat trimmings||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Pork belly fat||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Pork blood||50 g||1.6 oz fl|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Paprika, sweet||4.0 g||2 tsp|
|Cumin||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Garlic powder||3.0 g||1/2 tsp|
- Boil meats until soft. Save stock.
- Scald fat in hot water for 10 minutes.
- Scald liver in hot water for 5 minutes.
- Grind meats through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Grind liver through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Cut fat into 1/2” (12 mm) cubes.
- Mix all meats, with blood and all ingredients. Add 30 ml (2 tablespoons) of meat stock if needed. Hold the mixture in refrigerator for 12-24 hours.
- Stuff into 42 mm hog casings. Form rings about 20” (50 cm) long.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) for 60 minutes.Cool in cold water for 5 minutes. Dry briefly and refrigerate.
Cacholeira Branca de Portalegre carries PGI, 1997 classification.