Hausmacherleberwurst (Homemade Liver Sausage)
German homemade liver sausage.
|Pork liver||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Pork rich in connective tissue*||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Pork skins||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Pork fat trimmings||300 g||0.66 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||15 g||2.5 tsp|
|Cure #1||1.5 g||1/3 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Marjoram||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Onions, chopped||30 g||1 oz|
- Precook all meats in water until soft. Leave liver raw.
- Grind liver through 3 mm (1/8") plate.
- Fry finely chopped onions in fat until golden but not dark brown.
- Grind all meats, fat and onions through 3 mm (1/8") plate.
- Mix meats, fats, liver, and all ingredients together.
- Stuff into 60 mm pork or beef middles.
- Boil in water at 80º C (176º F) for 60 minutes.
- Immerse in cold water for 10 minutes. Cool in air.
* pork masks, head meat, jowls, belly. When cooled, the sausage may be cold smoked at 18º C (64º F) for 4-6 hours.