Liver Sausage with Sardines
|Pork liver||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Pork, lean||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Pork belly||250 g||0.55 lb|
|Pork back fat or fat trimmings||120 g||0.26 lb|
|Sardines||30 g||1.0 oz|
- Salt |18 g|3 tsp
- White pepper |3.0 g|1-1/2 tsp
- Marjoram, ground |1.0 g|1/2 tsp
- Thyme, rubbed |0.5 g|1 tsp
- Ginger, ground |0.5 g|1/4 tsp
- Cook lean pork in water (below the boiling point) until semi-done.
- Cut the liver into strips and scald them with hot water for 5-10 minutes so they become white. Let them dry, then grind them through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Scald fat with hot water, cool, then grind through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Grind pork belly with 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Boil pork (below the boiling point) until semi-soft. Cool, then grind through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Mix meat, fat, liver and spices together.
- Stuff loosely into 36 mm hog casings.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) for 35 minutes.
- Immerse sausages in cold water for 10 minutes.
- Wipe off the moisture, dry briefly and refrigerate.
You can use fresh or canned in water boneless and skinless sardines.