Frankfort Yellow Liver Sausage
A German liver sausage of yellow color from Frankfurt.
|Pork or veal liver||400 g||0.88 lb|
|Pork loin, belly||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Back fat or fat trimmings||300 g||0.66 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|White pepper||3.0 g||1-1/2 tsp|
|Nutmeg||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Ginger||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
- Boil pork (below the boiling point) until semi-soft.
- Boil fat trimmings (below the boiling point) for 10 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Grind raw liver through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Grind pork through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Grind fat through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Mix meat, fat, liver and spices together.
- Stuff loosely into 36 mm hog casings.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) for 35 minutes.
- Wipe off grease and paint them with yellow coloring without a delay.
The following is the recipe for the yellow coloring:mix one teaspoon of saffron with two tablespoons of rum, then add two tablespoons of hot water and the beaten yolk of an egg. When cut the sausage presents a nice contrast between a white inside and the yellow outside.