Frankfort Liver Sausage
|Pork liver||400 g||0.88 lb|
|Veal trimmings||250 g||0.55 lb|
|Fat trimmings||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Pork belly||150 g||0.33 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||20 g||3-1/2 tsp|
|White pepper||3.0 g||1-1/2 tsp|
|Marjoram||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Mace||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Ginger||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Onion, chopped||30 g||1/2 small|
- Boil veal trimmings (below the boiling point) until semi-soft.
- Boil fat trimmings (below the boiling point) for 10 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Fry chopped onion in lard or oil until glassy.
- Grind raw liver through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Grind veal and onions through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Grind fat through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Dice partially frozen pork belly into 1/4” (6 mm) cubes.
- Mix veal, liver and spices together. And ground fat and diced belly and mix all together.
- Stuff loosely into 36 mm hog casings.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) for 35 minutes.
- Immerse sausages in cold water for 10 minutes.
- Wipe off the moisture, dry briefly and refrigerate.
Available from Amazon in paperback and eBook format