Meats and Sausages
Chicken Liver Sausage
A sausage liver made from chicken livers is very inexpensive, however, the chicken liver can be sometimes slightly bitter. In this sausage recipe the smoked bacon supplies an extra flavor.
|Chicken livers||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Lean pork||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Smoked bacon||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Pork jowls, pork skins, fresh pork belly||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Pork trimmings rich in connective tissue||100 g||0.22 b|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||15 g||2-1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Allspice, ground||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Marjoram||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Onion, chopped||40 g||1/2 onion|
- Fry chopped onion in lard until glassy.
- Except liver and smoked bacon cook all meats in hot water at 90° C (195° F) until soft. Drain and cool. Save meat stock.
- Grind lean pork, smoked bacon and onions through 1/4” (6 mm) plate.
- Grind all other meats and trimmings through 1/8” (3 mm) plate, then emulsify in a food processor with liver and 60 ml of meat stock. Add salt and spices during this step.
- Mix ground meat with emulsified paste.
- Stuff firmly into 36 mm hog casings.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) for 35 minutes. You can combine the remaining meat stock with water.
- Cool for 10 minutes in cold water. Dry briefly and refrigerate.