Meats and Sausages
|Veal liver||350 g||0.77 lb|
|Pork belly||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Pork back fat, jowls||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Lean pork, or lean pork trimmings||150 g||0.33 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||12 g||2 tsp|
|White pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Marjoram||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Ginger||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Thyme||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Diced onion||50 g||1 small|
- Cut back fat into 1/4” (5-6 mm) cubes and then scald in water at 90° C (194° F) for 5 minutes. Do the same with fat trimmings, jowls and belly. Cool in cold water for 5 min and drain.
- Cook lean pork trimmings at 95° C (203° F) until soft. Save stock.
- Soak liver in cold running water for 1 hour, remove any glands and sinews and cut into slices. Poach at 90° C (194° F) for 8-10 min stirring frequently. Cool in cold water for 5 min and drain.
- Grind liver through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Grind pork and fat pieces through 1/8” (3 mm) plate. Emulsify liver in a food processor. Add 60 ml (2 oz fl) of meat stock, ground meat, fat, spices and emulsify everything together.
- Stuff loosely into 36 mm hog casings. Tie the ends with twine and make hanging loop.
- Immerse sausages in boiling water and poach at 80-85° C (176-185° F) for 30 minutes.
- Cool sausages in cold water for about 10 min, then hang and cool down to 6° C (43° F). If no cooling facilities are available, the sausage must be air dried to 12° C (53° F) or less.
- If smoky flavor is desired, after cooling, the sausages may be cold smoked at 18° C (64° F) for 5-6 hours and then cooled in air.