White Liver Sausage
White liver sausage exhibits a much lighter color than other sausages due to the careful selection of meats.
|veal or pork livers||300 g||0.66 lb.|
|veal||100 g||0.22 lb.|
|pork trimmings, pork jowls, picnic, pigs feet||300 g||0.66 lb.|
|skins||200 g||0.44 lb.|
|beef tripe, cooked||100 g||0.22 lb.|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||18 g||3 tsp.|
|white pepper||4.0 g||2 tsp.|
|sugar||2.0 g||½ tsp.|
|coriander||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|cardamom||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|nutmeg||1.0 g||½ tsp.|
|cinnamon||1.0 g||½ tsp.|
|onion, chopped||30 g||½ onion|
- Cut blood veins out of livers and place them in cold water until all traces of blood are removed. Poach livers at 167º F (75º C) for 8 - 10 min. Scald veal liver with hot water.
- Cook other meats at 212º F (100º C). Cook beef tripe in hot water (1-2 hours) until soft. Cook pork skins (if used) until soft. Cook pork trimmings, picnic leg and feet meat for 30 minutes (save this stock).
- Be sure all meats are cold. Grind all meats through a 2 mm ( ⅛”) plate. Refreeze and grind again. Grind liver twice with a 2 mm ( ⅛”) plate until you achieve paste consistency, then add salt and remaining ingredients including all meats. Meats can be ground only once, then emulsified in a food processor (add 10%, 0.1 kg of the stock).
- Mix everything together, add 10 % meat stock in relation to the meat total weight 0.22 lb. (0.1 kg ) and grind again through a 2 mm plate. We are trying to chop meats very finely, without the use of the bowl cutter. This is the reason for grinding meats three times. Do not add stock if meats were emulsified (stock has been added during this step). 5. Stuff loosely into 38 - 42 mm diameter hog casings, make straight links about 10 - 14” long. You can use natural beef casings or beef middles up to 3” (8 cm) in diameter.
- Stuff loosely into 38 - 42 mm diameter hog casings, make straight links about 10 - 14” long. You can use natural beef casings or beef middles up to 3” (8 cm) in diameter.
- Place sausages into boiling water but poach at 176 - 185º F (80 - 85º C) until internal temperature of 154 - 158º F (68 - 70º C) is reached. The required time is about 50 - 90 minutes.
- Shower with cold water for 10 min. then hang and cool down to an internal temperature below 42º F (6º C).
- Store in refrigerator.