Liver Pate Sausage (Kiszka Pasztetowa)
Liver Paté Sausage is a quality liver sausage. Most good liver sausages will contain pork liver, some recipes ask for veal liver which is a great choice though expensive. Beef liver is tougher and makes sausages darker. After the meats are emulsified or ground through a fine plate a few times the product can be spreadable like a pâté.
|lean pork or veal||125 g||0.27 lb.|
|regular pork (butt or trimmings)||175 g||0.38 lb.|
|pork or veal liver||250 g||0.55 lb.|
|fat pork trimmings||400 g||0.88 lb.|
|back fat||50 g||0.11 lb.|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||18 g||3 tsp.|
|pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|marjoram||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|fresh onion, chopped||60 g||1 onion|
- Cut back fat into ¼” (6 mm) pieces.
- Soak liver in cold running water for 1 hour, remove sinews, cut into slices and cover with water of 90°C (194°F). Poach liver 8-10 min stirring frequently. Poach diced back fat for 5 minutes. Cool liver in cold water for about 5 min and leave to drain water away.
- Grind previously poached liver through 2 mm plate and emulsify. Grind pork, veal, and fat pieces through 2 mm plate and emulsify.
- Add salt, spices, pork, veal and keep on emulsifying everything together. Mix the emulsified mixture with ¼” back fat pieces until uniformly distributed. They will stand out in the finished sausage.
- Stuff loosely into pork bungs, pork middles or synthetic cellulose casings 65 mm. Tie the ends with twine and make a hanging loop.
- Immerse sausages in boiling water and poach at 176-185°F (80-85°C) for 50-90 min until internal meat temperature reaches 154-158°F (68-70°C).
- Cool sausages in cold running water for about 10 min, then hang them up and cool down to below 6°C (43°F).
- If a smoky flavor is desired, the sausages may be cold smoked for 5-6 hours and then cooled down again.
- Store in refrigerator.