Czech Liver Sausage with Rice
Liver sausage with rice is popular sausage in East European countries. Hungarian Hurka, Polish and Czech/Slovak liver sausages are all somewhat similar and they are all delicious.
|pork liver||500 g||1.1 lb|
|pork belly (bacon)||200 g||0.44 lb|
|rice||250 g||0.55 lb|
|onion||100 g||3.52 oz, 1 medium size onion|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|garlic||7 g||2 cloves|
|ground white pepper||2 g||1 tsp|
|dround allspice||1 g||1/2 tsp|
|ground marjoram||2 g||1 tsp|
- . Scald liver in hot water for
- two minutes. Remove, cool with cold water and drain.
- Add bacon to the same water and cook until tender.
- Remove, cool with cold water and drain.
- In the same stock cook rice, but do not overcook.
- Drain rice, but save stock for cooking sausages.
- Grind liver and bacon through a small plate, 3 mm (1/8 inch).
- Chop onions finely and fry in lard or oil until glassy.
- Mix liver, bacon, onions, salt and spices together.
- Stuff loosely (rice may still expand) into 32 mm natural or synthetic casings.
- Water proof casings are fine.
- Cook for 30 minutes in remaining hot stock at 176 F (80 F).
- Cool sausages in cold water. Hang them to dry.
- Store in refrigerator.