Lietuviska is a classical Lithuanian sausage, made of pork and beef.
|Lean beef||200 g||0.44 lb.|
|Lean pork||200 g||0.44 lb.|
|Fat pork (50%)||600 g||1.32 lb.|
|Water||150 ml||1/4 pint|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Salt||25 g||4 tsp.|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp.|
|Black pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|Coriander||1.0 g||1/2 tsp.|
|Sugar||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|Nutmeg||0.3 g||1/3 tsp.|
- Grind all meats through 2-3 mm plate (1/8").
- Mix beef with water and all ingredients, then add lean pork. Finally add fat pork and mix all well together, until the mixture feels sticky.
- Stuff into 50-80 mm pork middles.
- Bake for 60-90 minutes at 100 C (212 F). Stop baking when internal meat temperature reaches 40 C (104 F). Don't overcook, you are baking the surface of the sausage only.
- Cook in 80 C (176 F) water until internal meat temperature reaches 72 C (160 F).
- Shower with cold water, then cool in the air to 15 C (59 F).
- Smoke for 6-7 hours with medium hot smoke at 35-45 C (95-113 F).
- Keep refrigerated.