Weinsülze (Head Cheese With Wine)
Weinsülze (Head Cheese With Wine) is German head cheese made with white wine.
|Pork belly, less than 50% visible fat||500 g||1.10 lb|
|Hocks with skins||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Pork skin||50 g||0.11 lb|
|Jowls||50 g||0.11 lb|
|White dry wine||100 g||3.33 oz fl|
|Meat stock||100 g||3.33 oz fl|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Salt||12 g||2 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Cinnamon||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Cloves, ground||0.3 g||1/8 tsp|
|Ginger||0.3 g||1/8 tsp|
|Gelatin||1 packet (as needed)|
- Cover meats with water and boil at 90°C (194°F) until meats are softer. Add soup greens (celery, carrot, leek, bay leaf) for better flavor and filter the stock when done.
- Remove meats and drain, filter and save the meat stock.
- Remove meat from hock bones. Grind the skins.
- Grind all skins through 3 mm (1/8") plate.
- Cut all meats into smaller pieces.
- Add one packet of gelatin to wine and meat stock and mix.*
- Mix all meats with spices adding meat stock and wine.
- Stuff into 120 mm synthetic waterproof casings.
- Boil at 80° C (176° F) for 150 min.
- Spread head cheeses on a flat surface and let them steam out and cool.
- Roll sausages over once in a while while they are cooling off.
- Store in refrigerator.
* take 30 ml (1 oz fl) of the liquid and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes to see that it solidifies. If not, add more gelatin and repeat the test.