Rural Head Cheese (Salceson wiejski)
|Pork heads||820 g||1.80 lb|
|Pork legs||160 g||0.35 lb|
|Blood||20 g||0.70 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||15 g||2.5 tsp|
|Pepper||1.5 g||5/8 tsp|
|Allspice||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
- In separate containers cook heads and legs in water at 85° C (185° F) until the meat can be separated from the bone. Save meat stock. Spread all pieces on a flat surface to cool.
- Cut head meat into ½” (12 mm) cubes.
- Grind leg meat through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Mix all meats with salt, spices and blood together. Add some of the meat stock.
- Stuff loosely into pork stomachs or large diameter synthetic casings.
- Cook in water at 82° C (180° F) for 90-120 min (depending on the size) until meat reaches 68-70° C (154-158° F) internal temperature.
- Spread head cheeses on a flat surface and let the steam out. Flatten with weight and cool to 6° C (43° F) or lower.
- Clean head cheeses of any fat and aspic that accumulated on the surface and cut off excess twine.