Berliner Sülzwurst (Berliner Head Cheese)
A popular in Berlin head cheese.
|Pork head meat, masks||150 g||0.33 lb|
|Pork hocks, feet||250 g||0.33 lb|
|Pork belly, lean||150 g||0.33 lb|
|Pork tongues, cured||150 g||0.33 lb|
|Veal belly||150 g||0.33 lb|
|Pork skins||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Full milk||50 g||50 ml|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Pepper||4.0 g||2 tsp|
|Nutmeg||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Caraway, ground||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Onion, chopped||90 g||1 onion|
|Meat stock||150 ml||5 oz fl|
- Cure all meats in wet brine. Make 40° Salometer brine (10° Baume):
- 1 gal water, 333 g (0.73 lb) salt, 120 g (4.2 oz) Cure #1. About 3/4 qt (710 ml) of brine is needed for 1 kg of meat. Place meats in brine in a suitable container. Hold them completely submerged for 4-5 days. Drain and wash briefly.
- Cover meats with sufficient amount of water and cook at 95° C (203° F) until soft (about 2 hours). For best flavor add soup greens to water: celery, carrot, leek, parsley root, whole peppers, onion, allspice. Remove meat from bones when still warm. The skins are done when they can be penetrated with a finger. Save meat stock.
- Chop onions and fry in fat until golden.
- Cut lean meats and tongues into 12 mm (1/2") pieces.
- Cut bellies into long strips.
- Grind skins and onions through 3 mm (1/8") plate. Place in food processor and emulsify with milk and spices.
- Mix all meats with emulsified skins and meat stock.
- Stuff into pork stomachs or 100 mm synthetic waterproof casings.
- In a large pot bring the water to a boil. Insert sausages in hot water, lower the heat and cook pork stomachs at 80° C (176° F) for 180 minutes, 100 mm casings for 2 hours.
- Immerse sausages for 20 minutes in cold water, then place them on a flat surface to finish cooling. Roll over periodically the sausages stuffed into round synthetic casings to prevent jelly and fat from accumulating in one area.
Before stuffing place a small amount of meat stock in refrigerator to see if it solidifies in 30 minutes. If not, add some powdered commercial gelatin and repeat the test.