Ham Sausage-Polish (Kiełbasa szynkowa)
Called ham sausage because solid chunks of ham (leg) or shoulder lean meat are imbedded in its texture. Chunks of lean meat must be cured with sodium nitrite (cure # 1)so they will develop red color which will contrast with whiter ground pork jowls or fat trimmings.
Prep time: 3 hours
Cook time: 2 hours
|lean pork, ham or butt||850 g||1.87 lb.|
|pork jowls or fatty pork trimmings, picnic meat||150 g||0.33 lb.|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||18 g||3 tsp.|
|cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|nutmeg||1.0 g||½ tsp.|
|coriander||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|cold water||60 ml||¼ cup|
- Manually cut lean pork into 2” (5 cm) cubes. Grind fat pork through ⅛” (3 mm) plate. Keep meats separate.
- Emulsify ground fat pork adding cold water. Add spices when emulsifying.
- Mix lean pork cubes with salt and cure #1 until sticky, then add emulsified mixture and mix everything well together.
- Stuff firmly into 100-120 mm (4-5”) beef bungs or synthetic fibrous casings and tie the ends with twine forming a hanging loop on one end. Make 14-16” long sections. Lace up sausages with two lengthwise loops and loops across the casing every 2 inches. Prick any visible air pockets with a needle.
- Hang at room temperature for 2 hours. Optional, but recommended step. This allows sodium nitrite to develop strong red color.
- Smoke with hot smoke for 120-150 min until casings develop a light brown color with a pink tint.
- Poach sausages at 72-75°C (161-167°F) for 80-110 min until internal temperature of the meat becomes 68-70°C (154-158°F). This will take about 2 hours.
- Immerse in cold water for 10 min, cool in air to evaporate moisture and place in refrigerator.