Goose sausage. This sausage is made from goose meat only.
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 30 minutes
|goose meat||700 g||1.54 lb.|
|goose skins||200 g||0.44 lb.|
|goose fat||100 g||0.22 lb.|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||18 g||3 tsp.|
|white pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|cayenne pepper||0.5 g||⅓ tsp.|
|non fat dry milk||40 g||1.5 oz.|
|cold water||100 ml||⅜ cup|
- Grind meat through 3/16” plate (5 mm). Refreeze and grind again. Grind skins through 3/16” (5 mm) plate and again through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Place ground meat and skins in a food processor. Add ⅓ water and emulsify. Add poultry fat, salt and other ingredients including remaining ice cold water and emulsify everything together. If no food processor is available - grind fat through 1/8” (3 mm) plate. Mix ground meat, skins and fat with all ingredients adding 120 ml (½ cup) cold water.
- Stuff loosely into 26-28 mm sheep casings forming 4” (10 cm) links. Hang for 30 min at room temperature.
- Poach in water at 176º F (80º C) until internal meat temperature reaches 160º F (72º C). This process will take about 20-30 minutes.
- Place in cold water for 2 minutes.
- Keep in a refrigerator or freeze for later use.
Goose skins contain twice as much fat as chicken.
Non fat dry milk is used to bind water and meats together. Skins increase water holding capacity. Add water slowly to food processor.
The color of the sausage will be light gray. If a pink color is desired, add 2.5 g (½ tsp.) of Cure #1.