Zwiebelwurst (Onion Sausage)
Zwiebelwurst is German onion sausage. It contains just a few ingredients and is simple to make. Onion is commonly added to liver, blood and potato sausages.
|Lean pork||350 g||0.77 lb|
|Fat trimmings||600 g||1.32 lb|
|Fresh onion||50 g||2 oz fl|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Caraway, ground||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
- Dice onion finely and fry in a little fat until glassy.
- Grind meat, fat and onion through 1/8" (3 mm) plate. Grind again.
- Mix with salt and pepper until the mass feels sticky.
- Stuff into 34-36 mm natural or synthetic fibrous casings.
- Cook in water at 176 F° (80° C) for 35 minutes.
- Cool sausages in cold water. Wipe off with paper towel.
- Apply a thin cold smoke at 64° F (18° C) for 30 minutes (optional step).
If you want the sausage to be pink, add 2 g (1/2 tsp) of cure 1 to ground meat and let the stuffed sausage hang for 1 hour before cooking.