Bratwurst - Hamburger
Bratwurst - Hamburge originates in the city of Hamburg. The sausage is made entirely from pork butt, fat included. The name bratwurst comes from the old German word “brät” (describing the finely-ground filling), and the original spelling was indeed “Brätwurst”. Over the years, as the sausage became popular worldwide, the dots above the letter ‘a’ have disappeared.
|Pork butt||1000 g||2.2 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|White pepper||2.5 g||2 tsp|
|Mace||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Water||30 ml||2 Tbsp|
- Grind pork through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Mix with salt, spices and 30 ml of cold water until sticky.
- Stuff into 30-32 mm hog casings making short links holding about 100 g (3.5 oz) of meat.
- Refrigerate and eat within 2 days.
- Cook fully before serving.