Wild Game Sausage
Wild game meat is very lean and to make a good sausage some fatty pork trimmings, back fat or bacon should be added.
Prep time: 2 hours
Cook time: 2 hours
|game meat||500 g||1.10 lb.|
|pork butt or fatty pork trimmings||500 g||1.10 lb.|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||18 g||3 tsp.|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||½ tsp.|
|pepper||4.0 g||2 tsp.|
|marjoram||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|mustard seed||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|garlic||3.5 g||1 clove|
- Grind all meats through a 3/8” (10 mm) plate.
- Mix ground meat with all ingredients.
- Stuff tightly into 32-36 mm hog casings.
- Hang for about 1 hour until casings feel dry.
- Apply smoke at 140º F, (60º C) for 2 hours then start slowly increasing smoking temperature up to 185º F (85º C) for about 2 hours until the meat reaches 160º F, (72º C) internal temperature.
- Shower sausages briefly with cold water and hang them for 1-2 hours to dry.
- Store in refrigerator.