Tomato sausage is very popular in the Midlands. Adding 10% tomato gives the sausage a distinctive red color.
|Lean pork||500 g||1.10 lb|
|Fat||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Rusk, soaked (40 g rusk and 60 ml=2 oz fl water)||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Rusk, dry||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Tomatoes, fresh or canned||100 g||0.22 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Salt||15 g||2-1/2 tsp|
|White pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Mace||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Ginger||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Cloves, ground||0.3 g||1/8 tsp|
- Soak 40 g of rusk in 60 ml of water.
- Grind lean pork with 1/4” (5 mm) plate.
- Grind fat with 3/8” (10 mm) plate.
- Mix pork and fat with soaked rusk, dry rusk, tomatoes and spices.
- Stuff into 32 mm hog casings.
- Cook before serving.
Tomato purée consists of tomatoes that have been cooked briefly and strained to produce a thick, tangy liquid. It is thicker than tomato sauce, but not as thick as tomato paste. Canned tomato purée is available in supermarkets.