Oxford Beef Sausage
When originally produced, the Oxford sausage did not have a skin or other casing, but was hand-formed and floured before frying. However, modern sausages are stuffed into natural pork or sheep casings.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 18 minutes
|Beef, lean||600 g||1.32 lb|
|Fat||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Rusk soaked (40 g rusk and 60 ml/2 oz fl) of water||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Rusk, dry||100 g||0.22 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Salt||15 g||2-1/2 tsp|
|White pepper||4.0 g||2 tsp|
|Mace||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Nutmeg||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Coriander||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Ginger||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Cayenne||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
- Soak 40 g of rusk in 60 ml of water.
- Grind beef with 1/8” plate.
- Mix ground beef with soaked rusk, dry rusk and spices.
- Stuff into sheep or small diameter hog casings.
- Fry, bake or grill before serving.
Red coloring (Parisian Red) was dissolved in boiling water and poured on the mixture during the process of chopping until the desired tint was attained.