There is nothing unusual about beef sausage and each country has its version. This recipe, modified for 1 kg sausage total, has been adapted from the British Manual of Army Catering Services.
|Lean beef||500 g||1.10 lb|
|Beef fat||250 g||0.55 lb|
|White breadcrumbs||150 g||0.33 lb|
|Water for breadcrumbs||75 g||2.64 oz|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Salt||15 g||2-1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||4.0 g||2 tsp|
|Ground mace||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Ground nutmeg||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
- Grind lean beef through 3/8” (10 mm) plate.
- Dice fat into 1/4” (5 mm) cubes.
- Mix breadcrumbs with water, salt and spices.
- Mix all ingredients together and grind through 1/4” (5 mm) plate.
- Stuff into hog casings making 2 oz (56 g) links. Hang the sausages in a cool dry place for at least 12 hours before cooking.
75 g of rusk and 120 g (3 oz fl) of water may be used in place of bread crumbs.