Botillo del Bierzo
The El Bierzo region, made up of 38 municipalities located to the west of the province of Leon (Castile-Leon), Spain. Botillo del Bierzo is a type of smoked sausage which is stuffed into pig’s cap (caecup), a large diameter pouch which is the beginning of the large intestine. The weight of Botillo del Bierzo averages 1 kg (2.2 lb).The required amount of rib meat 65-90%. The required amount of tail meat 10-20%. Trimmings from the following parts may also be incorporated: tongue, jowls, shoulder, backbone meat.
|Pork ribs||700 g||1.54 lb|
|Bone-in pork tail||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Tongue||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Meat trimmings||100 g||0.22 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1-1/2 tsp|
|Pimentón, sweet||15 g||3 tsp|
|Pimentón, hot||10 g||2 tsp|
|Sugar||5.0 g||1 tsp|
|Oregano, rubbed||2.0 g||3 tsp|
|Garlic, minced||20 g||6 cloves|
- Chop ribs and tails into 2 cm (3/4") pieces. The bones are not removed.
- Chop finely other meats.
- Mix salt, cure and all spices with meats. Place in a food grade bag in refrigerator for 12 hours.
- Stuff firmly into pork bung.
- Smoke with oak wood at 18° C (64° F) for 1 day.
- Dry at 16-12° C (60-54° F) for 2 days.
- Keep refrigerated.
- This is a semi-dry product and must be cooked before serving.
Botillo del Bierzo carries PGI, 2001 classification.