Mititei or mici, both Romanian words meaning “small ones” is a traditional Romanian dish of grilled ground meat rolls similar to Serbian ćevapčići sausage. The sausages are usually served with french fries, pickles, mustard and a cold beer.
|Pork||400 g||0.88 lb|
|Beef||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Lamb||300 g||0.66 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||15 g||2.5 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Cayenne||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Coriander||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Cumin||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Garlic, minced||12 g||3 cloves|
|Baking soda||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Water or meat stock||60 ml||2 oz fl|
- Grind meats through 1/4” (6 mm) plate.
- Mix ground meat with all ingredients.
- Cover with plastic wrap and hold overnight in refrigerator.
- Form into finger length sausages about 3/4” (20 mm) in diameter.
- Refrigerate or freeze.
- Cook before serving. Fry or grill turning them to brown all sides.
Using baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) as meat tenderizer is common in southeastern Europe or in China. Don’t increase the amount as it may impart an alkaline flavor to the sausage.